Wednesday 11 March 2015

Travels in the North-East of Scotland

Since getting my car, I have taken the opportunity do some sightseeing in the north-east of Scotland. I'm very glad I got it because there is some breathtaking scenery here, and some cracking driving roads. Here are some photos from my wandering.

The Tormore Distillery.
I am slightly obsessed with this grand building. Sadly the distillery is not open to the public, and they really only make average whisky to go into blends. I'm itching to see inside though, so one day soon, I might just wander in, then pretend I don't speak English when I am asked what I'm doing. It is about 10 minutes drive from Glenfarclas. I have driven past it several times, and each time I have to get out of the car to just look at it.


Highland coos

A pheasant, just waiting to be plucked

A few weeks ago, I went to the surprisingly beautiful and sandy beach at Lossiemouth and dipped a toe in the North Sea.
It wasn't that bad after my feet went numb from the cold.

You can't swing a jousting stick without hitting a castle up here. This is the ruin of Huntly Castle, and one of several I have visited. It's fascinating to see these buildings, some of which were started in the 1100's, then evolved over the next several hundred years and saw all sorts of dramas.
 
Roads like these, in an angry little Renault hot-hatch like mine: Heaven.

Scotland's coast is dotted with incredibly charming little fishing villages, like Stonehaven, pictured here. The harbours of these villages are mostly too small for large-scale commercial fishing boats, but there are still craft coming and going. In a village like this, you might see someone wearing a cable-knit jersey and a fisherman's cap....and they wouldn't even be a hipster.

Are you feeling lucky?

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic to get out and about Matthew. My Grandmother was born in the Lossiemouth area, represent!

    S.

    ReplyDelete